Explore the site of Britain’s only-known Roman circus…
DISCOVER THE SECRETS OF ROMAN CHARIOT RACING
FIND OUT HOW THE CIRCUS WAS DISCOVERED
What's on offer and when...
Wander around the circus site, browse in the centre,and relax in the gardens. And what's more, admission is free!
Looking for voluntary work? Then why not find out if you could help with the running and development of the Circus Centre or help the archaeologists in their work?
HOW TO FIND US
However you are coming - if it's by foot, car, bus, or train - this is what you need to know to find us! See you soon...
* Saturday 10th September: BUSY DAY AT THE ROMAN CIRCUS CENTRE (all free)!
* HERITAGE OPEN DAY – part of the National Heritage Open Days 2016. 10:30 am to 4:30 pm. Visit the former NAAFI of the Artillery (Le Cateau) Barracks of Colchester’s old garrison, built in 1937, which now houses the Roman circus centre. Small display about the NAAFI including some vintage NAAFI artefacts. Try 1940s NAAFI-recipe cakes in our tea room. Vintage military vehicles in the garden.
* Children's events organised by Signals Media – family workshop starting at 10 am in Signals Studio (Signals Media Art Centre, Victoria Chambers, St Runwald Street, Colchester, CO1 1HF) to create horses and costumes for a procession to the Roman Circus Centre starting in the Castle Park at noon (needs to be pre-booked); from 12.30 pm in the Circus Centre, themed activities and the first viewing of the new Circus app with demo by its creators Teaboy Games.
* Tour from Castle Park to the Roman circus – guided tour with Trust director Philip Crummy. 10.30am-12.30 pm. Meet outside the castle and see the remains of the Roman theatre, the Roman temple arcade and the Roman circus.
* Guided tour of the circus site and centre by Trust guides, at 12.30 and 1.30.
Opening hours for Centre and Gardens
● 11.00am-4.00pm, Mondays to Saturdays until and including Saturday 1st October
What's on offer
● Admission free.
● Tours and information from friendly guides.
● Free WiFi in café.
● Book and hire a bike from the Colchester Cycle Hire at the Circus Centre and explore the Colchester area.
● Or grab your own bike and come to the Circus Centre as part of the great Essex Cake Escape!
● Centre available for hire out of opening hours by corporate organisations and societies.
Roman Circus Centre, Roman Circus House, Roman Circus Walk, Colchester.
Enquiries and bookings: 01206 501785.
Colchester Archaeological Trust website: